Needlework, Finishing, Designing, Quilting, Some Discoveries and Adventures in Stitching from Windy Ridge Designs

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Phrase for American Sampler

I began this post about two weeks ago and didn't get around to taking the pictures to go with it, much less uploading them.  So, here is the beginning:

I've finally worked out my phrase to replace the one charted on the American Sampler.  I wanted something to do with American colonial courtship, albeit I wanted it to be non-specific to any particular people.  I've done a little research on this at my own historical society, but the inspiration I found was in this article originally in Colonial Williamsburg Interpreter (Winter 1997), by Elizabeth Maurer and now on a Colonial Williamsburg site.  The phrase is inspired by a quote from a letter by Landon Carter, written in 1775, that is included in the article.  


I hope that it conveys, without saying so, the eagerness of the father to get his daughter out of the house.  I mean that in a funny way.  Anyhoo, pics are of the progress I've made stitching background and phrase.  The phrase will read: On Thursday last, came a young gentleman and communicated his intent to court my daughter.  Upon her glad approbation we sallied to the clerk's to obtain the bond - L. C. 1775

That's where I stopped.  I've been working on the sampler and the Civil War quilt and a family history project and a DAR project - and I really almost don't know what side is UP anymore.  I say that because the day before yesterday I made a really stupid mistake which I compounded yesterday.  And yes, that was a really stupid mistake - AGAIN!


Why, what was the mistake you ask?  I ran out of DMC 500 - the really dark blue/green and went to Michael's to get it.  Snapped two skeins out of the 500 bin, bought 'em, brought 'em home, wound one onto the empty bobbin.  Then, yesterday morning, when I do most of my daily stitching, I sat with my morning news and coffee and stitched the green behind the urn on one side.  And I kept looking at it going, boy, that doesn't look right.  And, instead of stopping I kept right on stitching.  It wasn't until I'd reached the top of the urn on one side that I decided it was time to check that color.  I had to sift through the trash can for the little number slip that I'd taken off the skein the day before.  And ya know what?  It was 501.  Yep.  They had the 500 bin full of 501.


So, I still had no 500.  And I could not believe I had been so S-T-U-P-I-D as to just take it on faith that what I'd pulled out of that bin was the right number.  DUH DUH DUH!  I never looked at it, not once - not even when I was going, UH, DUH, Dat Don't Look Right.  DUH!  Well, it was first thing in the morning (which is usually 4:30 to 5 a.m. for me)  Sat and took out all I'd stitched.  Went to Joanne's.  They had one skein of 500.  Is there a run on 500 these days?  Went to Hobby Lobby and got two more skeins.  Not sure how much I'm going to need to do this background effect, but it sure seems to be taking up a lot of floss.  

Last night I sat watching that wonderful MICHAEL PHELPS and others win lotza medals at the Olympics - and restitched all that I'd stitched (and then had to take out) in the wrong color.  I'm a little further along than I was yesterday morning and that makes me feel better.

So here are the pics I didn't get around to before:

Bottom portion of phrase
 I can see now that I've missed some of the background stitching behind the phrase and I'll have to go back and catch that.  That background is done in Alternating Running stitch.  It was supposed to go over each thread, but I'm using a smaller count and just couldn't get it done.  I went over and under two instead.

Photo left is before - photo next is after - the grass in the "Yard" - it was bothering me that it wasn't green.  So, I've made another change.  I used one of the lightest of the greens and did Alternating Running stitch again.
 Speaking of MICHAEL - many years ago, when my son was in the Navy, and visiting San Francisco, a friend took a picture of him at the top of Lombard Street.  The first time I saw Michael Phelps (I think it was when he was in Sydney), I went HOLY COW!  And pulled out that picture.  The two could have passed for brothers - then - there's no longer quite such a resemblance.  But since then, I've called Michael Phelps my son from another mother.  His mom, Debbie, would probably not like that so much; but I have cried right along with her every time he's won and every time he's lost 

Bottom portion - progress to date
 
(which hasn't been so much!).  I think Michael Phelps is just AWESOME!  I was talking to my husband yesterday and said to him I was sure if I ever ran into Michael, that I would probably turn into a blithering idiot.  But what a memory that would make!  I met Melissa Belote back in 1972 - she was just back from the Olympics and I ran into her at the Gifford's Ice Cream parlor.  Two years older than me, she grew up very near me - in Springfield, VA.  At the time, she was 15 (like our girl from Bethesda, Katie Leudeke) and I was all of 13 thinking it was SO COOL to meet an Olympian.  In 2010 her three gold medals were stolen!  Can you imagine!  Her record in the pool was only broken by Missy Franklin just last night.  Even though I'm much older and much wiser than when I was at 13, I would still be all wiggly if I met one of our medalists!  Looks like the girls will get my Olympics pool attention in the future as I'm not a big Ryan Latke fan; maybe that Tyler Clary.  But Michael will always be my favorite.


Hope you enjoyed!

4 comments:

  1. I just love that sampler. The words that you chose really fit it so well!! I had the same problem with the DMC color in the wrong bin-very frustrating!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new wording you've chosen. The sampler is looking gorgeous. Sorry about The 501 Fiasco (doesn't that sound like the title of a film noir?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Katherine! This is so beautiful. What amazing stitching. The colors are so lovely.
    It stinks that the 501 was in the 500 bin :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, your new phrase is so wonderful--I fall more in love with this sampler each time you post an update!! Sorry about the DMC color fiasco--I've had the same thing happen to me.

    Sure hope you do get lucky enough to run into Michael some day :)

    ReplyDelete

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! Unless you're the spammer who keeps commenting anonymously - then thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested - and your comments just get deleted anyway.